Thursday, April 7, 2011

Our Life Now

Things have been hectic lately. Life has changed for us and I am not sure that I like it, but that's the way it has to be. I feel like I am constantly going and there's no time to sit. There are so many appointments to get to, not only with Ella but now with Shaun. Ella has her Demo Home on Fridays and her audiology appointments on Wednesdays or Fridays. So at the very least we are going to LA once a week. Now Shaun is going to be going as well because his ophthalmologist has referred us to the Stein Institute at UCLA for his eyes. Hopefully he won't have to go that long and we can get it resolved.
Ella had her CT scan this morning for her cochlear implants. They have to check on her cochlea and see if it developed right. Hopefully the next step is getting out the fluid that is in her ear. Nothing can progress until that is resolved. Which means it will be probably longer than 3 months before she can get her implants. Since the hearing aid trial has to be longer than 3 months, we were hoping for the shortest time. 
We were suppose to get there at 11am and then the scan would begin at 12pm, but when we got there no one was there so we got in quick. They put an IV in to give her the sedative and we took her back to the room. I held her on the scanning table and then they injected the propofol. And wow did that work fast. They put it in and in less than a minute she was out. No wonder Michael Jackson loved it. I had to leave the room, but they said the scan wouldn't take more than a couple of minutes, and it didn't. They brought her back out in about 5 minutes. I took a picture because she was doing the creepy baby eye-thing that she does when she sleeps. She likes to sleep with her eyes partially open. It's weird. About 30 minutes after this was taken she woke up and was playing. She was fine and wanted her bottle. I don't know when we will get the results because we don't as of now have an appointment scheduled with the ENT that ordered the CT scan. I guess they will call me and set something up. 
I am glad that this is over. I know it's not that big of a deal, but I am still glad it's over. Now on to the next thing. But I don't know what that is yet. She has been seeing the Early Start Deaf and HOH teacher from the school district once a week along with the JTC classes and Home Demo. I feel confident (now that we have the help) that she will be fine. Before we found the help, I didn't know how we were going to get through this. We are taking it day by day with God's help.

No comments:

Post a Comment