Thursday, March 3, 2011

A little girl and her hearing aids

Friday started out pretty early. Since our first appointment was at 8:00am at UCLA we had to get up and out of the house by 5:30am. We wanted to avoid the traffic. We got to the appointment and Dr. Kim started fitting Ella's hearing aids for her. Then next was the programming(?). The appointment lasted longer than we expected, but it was worth it. We don't know yet if she can hearing anything. She is not responding yet but she said that we needed to give it some time and since we have to come back in two weeks, it might need some adjusting. So far Ella isn't messing with them too much. But I can't seem to get them in right all of the time. Sometimes when she moves around I hear that awful whistling sound. I know she's little and it will happen alot but I hate the sound. lol After the audiologist we had to rush over to the JTC for the infant preschool and parent support group. It was really nice talking to the other parents about this whole process. One of the main things we talked about it the services offered by the school districts. They gave advice on what to ask for. It helped a lot since our meeting with them is going to be on March 10th and 17th. Then it was time to squeeze in a quick lunch at Boston Market (ew, Nathan's choice) before heading off to the ENT. Dr. Ishiyama was running about an hour behind so we had some time to kill.
When we finally got to see him we explained everything that has happened. He had Ella's tests and info from the audiologist and Children's so he said that we are going to have to schedule a CT scan to see if, where and how much fluid is in her ears. They are also going to look at her ear structure and the cochlea and see if they are good enough to have a cochlear implant put in later. They said she had a lot of wax in her ear so they gave us a prescription for ear drops to dissolve the wax. They are going to call us to schedule the CT scan. We were out of there and on the road by 3:00pm. We missed a lot of the rush hour traffic. Ella slept on the way home since she didn't get a nap all day. Since we left so early in the morning I let her take her blankie with her and as soon as we got in the car she took her blankie and went to sleep. I love watching her sleep. I know she has no clue what's gong on and sometimes I am very thankful for that. I know God has a plan for our family and he will help us through this.

No comments:

Post a Comment