Thursday, June 30, 2011


I have been working with Ella for a while now on some simple signs. I think she is really starting to get it. Every time she signs it amazes me. I am hoping to get into a sign language class at our community college but I will have to crash it. I am hoping if I get there early and speak to the teacher about my situation, she will help me out. I will leave you with some videos of Ella's signing.

Thursday, June 16, 2011

Good News!

As you can tell by the title, we received good news yesterday. I talked to our Audiologist and she said that we are going to start the process for bilateral implantation for Ella. We don't have a date yet because the insurance has to approve it before we get that. So now we are getting all the necessary stuff together to submit to the insurance company. I am not worried about them approving her because we have already talked to them and it will be 100% covered. :) I know it seems like it hasn't been that long since we found about about her hearing loss but it feels like this process has taken forever. And it's still not over. There has just been so much time that she has not been able to hear. I know it's not a cure or anything like that but these implants are the best thing for her right now. We are thinking that she will get the surgery done in September or October. We are hoping no later than November. Thank you everyone for praying for Ella and our family.

Monday, June 13, 2011

The last Month

A lot has happened in the last month. We did get a loaner pair of hearing aids from JTC. They aren't as great as the ones we have. They are older and don't have the feedback management like the others. But they are fine and strong enough for her. We also got more molds made so that is helping out with the feedback. We talked to our AVT at JTC and her and the Audiologist there are going to coordinate with our Audiologist at UCLA to get the testing done. Apparently we needed more unaided testing. We have had 2 other tests done and it's still the same conclusion, as far as they have been telling me. She needs the CIs. Now whether she needs two is what Nathan and I are waiting on. I am hoping that if she does, then we won't have to wait a year for the other one. I am hoping that they will approve both at the same time.
We have another Audiology appointment this Wednesday and Carlen said that she is meeting with the implant team that morning and that she is going to bring up Ella at the meeting. We are hoping for good news. We are hoping that they are going to say that the tests are sufficient enough to approve her for the surgery. We all know she needs it, it's just getting the team to agree with us. I am very anxious for Wednesday to come. I just hate sitting her knowing that there is something out there that can help her hear and we have to wait for it. It's right there and there is nothing we can do to get it. 
In other news, we are leaving this Thursday night for Florida with my parents. I can't wait! I know the kids are going to love it and Ella has never been to the beach so I am curious to see how she reacts. We are also planning to go to Disney World while we are there. We went here in Ca to Disneyland but it was a bust because it rained most of the day so we left early. I know Shaun and Dakota are going to love it. Also Dakota and Shaun are going to go back to Va with my parents for the summer. I am looking forward to it. :) But I know that I will miss them. It's going to be quiet around here, but I think I will get a lot done. I also won't have to worry about finding someone to watch them during Ella's appointments. Thanks Mom and Dad. I love you :)